Saturday, May 17, 2014

It's simply a jot down of an  incident. One evening, on the way back to my home, at RNAC, I saw a crowd of 7-10 people. While approaching them, I hear them whispering "छारे रोग हो ।" but no one was helping the guy who was lying down on the floor of footpath and frothing with fits. May be humanity or being health personnel, I just move ahead and ask the crowd to move aside and let the fresh air in. The guy seems like having an epileptic fits, while assessing him I just turn him on the left lateral position to let the salivation drain laterally. Then, I ask the thela nearby for the jug of water and handkerchief. He seems acyanotic and his pulse was quite regular while the fits was about to over. I wipe up his face which was filled saliva and the dust of the floor with my hand consistently checking his pulse rate. I saw his mobile lying on the floor and ask the person nearby to put it in his pocket. The crowd was slowly over and three police men approach the area. While interrogating one of them says if its epilepsy let the guy smell the socks, he will wake up. The guy was in sleeping state then, I simply denied the phrase straightly. Whereas the other policemen starts asking about him and his goods is secure. They ask me why I was holding his hand, whilst I was checking his radial pulse; ask for his watch and other. I replied that his watch is his hand and the mobile has fallen so I had asked the other guy to put it in his pocket. The people answer that he is the footpath shopkeeper with his goods in the way. The guy was slowly regaining the consciousness so, I asked the other fellow nearby to handle him and let him rest. While defending the phrase of letting him smell the socks, the police guy was saying that the peoples use to say that. I raised up and told him that it means worthless that a guy with fits is smelling anything or any socks could wake him up. It's a disease condition. May be, state after the fits, he may smell the unpleasant smell in sleeping phase after fits. But in reality it's ridiculous to let one smell the socks in such state. I still confused, whether my words are rational or irrational. But at that moment I noticed three of them were staring on my words and felt the chills that I 'm talking with the policemen. The man stands slowly with the help of other fellow and I move on my way home.

On the way, my mind was filled with pleasure that despite being a pedestrian, I provided the first aid treatment to an epileptic patient. In the other thought, those people around, the misperceptions about the disease and its way of treatment .And lastly the police asking for the goods of the person. The abstract thought moves on, synonymously me and the policemen were doing our own responsibilities. I, as a health personnel, had prioritized the state of the person, providing primary care and aid to the epileptic guy whereas the policemen, being the civil servant, were concerned about the safety and security of the guy in need and his goods. May be its how one plays own role in this society.

No comments: